Population of Queensland
Data source: Queensland Government Statistician's Office (Queensland Treasury), Queensland Regional Profiles www.qgso.qld.gov.au, April 2020
National Land Transport Network*
Vehicle safety and machinery inspections
Vehicle safety inspections completed
Drivers licence tests conducted
Customer face-to-face interaction
Data source: *A Road Management Information System (ARMIS), 30 June 2020
Data source: **Bridge Information System (BIS), 30 June 2020
- Completed construction of a new bridge and approaches over the Moonie River on Noondoo–Thallon Road at Thallon.
- Completed pavement widening, including four culvert extensions, on the Carnarvon Highway between St George and Surat, jointly funded by the Australian and Queensland governments.
- Completed pavement widening, including five culvert extensions, on the Carnarvon Highway between Injune and Rolleston, jointly funded by the Australian and Queensland governments.
- Completed pavement rehabilitation and stabilisation on the Warrego Highway between Miles and Roma.
- Continued pavement rehabilitation and stabilisation on the Landsborough Highway between Morven and Augathella.
Noondoo–Thallon Road upgrade program
The third and final stage to improve the Noondoo–Thallon Road in Dirranbandi and Thallon, following the closure of the Thallon–Dirranbandi rail line in 2010, involves the construction of a two-lane bridge on a new alignment over the Moonie River. Construction of the new bridge and realignment works started in late October 2019 and was completed in late June 2020.
Carnarvon Highway upgrade completed
Jointly funded by the Australian and Queensland governments, works were completed in late 2018 on the Carnarvon Highway Upgrade Program which involved widening various sections of the highway between St George and Surat, and Injune and Rolleston.
Additional funding from both governments was received in the 2019–20 financial year to expand the program and widen additional sections of the Carnarvon Highway.
Works to strengthen and widen the highway between St George and Surat, between the Grey Street and Moonie Highway intersections north of St George, commenced in June 2019 and were completed in November 2019.
Works to widen a 3.45 kilometre section of the highway between Injune and Rolleston, between the Wanganui Lane and Gleneam West Road intersections north of Injune, commenced in January 2020 and were completed in May 2020. To allow the widening works to be completed, four culverts were extended along the highway.
2019–20 reseal program
The reseal program preserves road surfaces and improves road safety and connectivity between regional towns.
239 kilometres of national highway and state controlled roads were resealed as part of the South West Reseal Program in 2019–20, including sections of the:
- Warrego Highway
- Mitchell Highway
- Balonne Highway
- Cooper Developmental Road
- Carnarvon Highway
- Wallumbilla South Road
- The Border–Carnarvon Highway Connection Road
- Roma Southern Road
- Jackson–Wandoan Road
- Roma–Taroom Road
- Mitchell–Forest Vale Road.
Carnarvon Highway (Surat–Roma) rehabilitation
In March 2020, works commenced to rehabilitate and stabilise a two kilometre section of the Carnarvon Highway between Surat and Roma, approximately 10 kilometres south of Roma.
Road rehabilitation is performed to provide a smoother ride and improve the structural adequacy of the road pavement.
This section of the highway was undulating, and it was identified that the underlying structural layers were in poor condition and needed to be addressed to maintain road user safety and improve overall road condition.
Works were completed in late June 2020 and included sub-base stabilisation, gravel overlay, and bitumen sealing.